Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What I Have Learned So Far

In the very short time I have done this project I feel like I have actually learned a lot. The most important being that backlighting is the absolute key to making a portrait pop. I guess I probably knew this, but knowing it and actually taking the time to stop and make sure my lighting is set up properly are two different things. The first few shots I took for the project were done in the shade and I do like those, but once I started using the sun for a backlight I really noticed a significant difference in the overall impact of the shot. The depth added by the additional light can make the difference between a snapshot and a portrait, so make sure you take the time to set up if you have the ability to do so.
 
I don’t have two separate shots to compare, but if you look at this shot you will see how her hair is highlighted from the sun giving it separation from the background. Imagine if that light wasn’t there… her hair would blend right in with the background which would significantly change the depth and overall quality of the picture.



So... if you are out shooting portraits and you are have a flash I would suggest having your subject turn their back to the sun and using the flash to light the face. Aside from giving depth to the shot it will also reduce the squinting that is usually caused by staring directly into a giant ball of fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter